Below you will find the relevant federal and state disability laws, guidelines, university policies guiding Mason’s mission to ensure equivalent access to it’s programs and services:
Relevant Disability Laws & Guidelines
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) – Modeled after the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin – and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 — the ADA is an “equal opportunity” law for people with disabilities.
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act – Federal law designed to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities in programs and activities that receive Federal financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Education (ED). For additional information, visit Section 504 – Frequently Asked Questions.
- Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act – Enacted to eliminate barriers in information technology, to make available new opportunities for people with disabilities, and to encourage development of technologies that will help achieve these goals.
- University Policy Number 1201 – Non-Discrimination Policy
- University Policy Number 1203 – Non-Discrimination and Reasonable Accommodations on the Basis of Disability
- University Policy Number 1308 – University Information and Communications Technology Accessibility